Tenancy law for residential property

Are you looking for a lawyer specialising in residential tenancy law? Then Hielkema & co is the right place for you. The lawyers at Hielkema & co are familiar with all aspects of residential tenancy law and will be happy help you.


Our lawyers can advise you on residential tenancy law matters and assist you in legal proceedings. The following are some of the topics upon which we can provide advice.

  • Lease agreements
  • Tenant protection
  • Rental prices
  • Service charges
  • Defects
  • Renovations
  • Urgent work
  • Lease terminations
  • Public nuisance
  • Subletting
  • Joint tenancy
  • Handing over the dwelling
  • Security deposits


Residential tenancy law

Renting out a residential property is subject to legal regulations. The statutory requirements for residential accommodation are mostly mandatory and are mainly aimed at protecting the tenant. For instance, terminating an open-ended lease agreement is only possible based on legal grounds for termination, and rent increases are restricted.

In addition to this, both the tenant and the landlord have certain obligations. For instance, the tenant is obliged to pay the rent on a monthly basis, has to tolerate urgent work done on the property, and may not sublet the property without permission or cause a nuisance.  In turn, the landlord is responsible for repairing defects in the dwelling, such as leaks, defective heating or poor ventilation.

Various questions

A few of the questions that our lawyers can answer for you include:

  • When does the tenant have tenant protection?
  • What should I do if a tenant is causing or suffering from nuisance?
  • My tenant wants to pay less rent. Am I obliged to agree to this?
  • How can I calculate the rental price for my house?
  • I want to do some renovations. Is the tenant obliged to cooperate?
  • The tenant has called in the rent assessment commission due to defects in the house. What now?
  • Is subletting permitted?
  • How can I increase the rent?
  • What is the most rent I can ask for the house?
  • Is living in a rented house with relatives permitted?
  • A cannabis nursery has been discovered in a rented house. What implications does this have for the lease agreement?
  • Is a tenant allowed to build a conservatory on a rented house?

Hielkema and co: specialists in residential tenancy law

Thanks to our specialist knowledge, we are familiar with all the ins and outs of residential tenancy law. We provide advice to and conduct proceedings on behalf of housing corporations, investors and private landlords, among others. If you have any questions about residential tenancy law, please call +31 (0)85 – 7822820 without obligation or complete the form on our website and we’ll contact you.